Thursday, April 8, 2010

Required: 1 or 2 options for 4/12 (Sign full name): Art21 Uncut: Julie Mehretu Painting at Goldman Sachs on Vimeo



Here is a link to a short video of Julie Mehretu's recent and very large permanent painting in the new Goldman Sachs building in Manhattan. Mehretu is an Ethiopian-American artist. While at first the painting looks very abstract, it actually has a theme--geography and the movement of downtown Manhattan. In this class we usually look at women's art related to identity politics (often, prejudices based on race, class, and sex), but Mehretu is a woman artist concerned about other themes. Here is the link:

Art21 Uncut: Julie Mehretu Painting at Goldman Sachs on Vimeo

4 comments:

  1. I think the painting is very interesting. I think it is awesome how it is a permanent and it is made by a woman and not just something that comes and goes. The painting has differently layers almost to it. It is a different idea to do a geography theme and I probably wouldn't have known that if I wasn't told. It is a mix of modern day art with a location. It is a good theme and she is a good artist. I am a painter myself and I can relate to this and that it is a great movement for a women to have a permanent spot for her work.
    -Kristin Frondal

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the painting is beautiful and at first glance it does look very abstract. I like the fact that it has many different textures to it, there were pieces of paper glued down which made me think of the collage that we're doing in class. I agree with Kristin, it is awesome that her work has become permanent.
    - Krystal James

    ReplyDelete
  3. The painting is amazing. It just goes to show that not all women are like the ones portrayed in the media. Julie is a self empowered woman and is extremely creative.-Lindsey Belvis

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not the kind of person that like art or can even look at it and know right away what the artist is trying to protray. At first glimps i thought that is looked like a bunch of colors and lines. But the up close video does show how it is down town manhattan. If you look closely you can see the line to how the town is cutup into districts, which would be hard to see from a distance. This painting really is beautiful, but is hard to apprishiate from far way.
    Jamie Powell

    ReplyDelete